About Transit Forward
WHO WE ARE
Transit Forward is the only community-based, grassroots coalition organized by both transit riders and transit workers in New York City. We believe that safe, affordable, and reliable transit services and decent-paying, full-time transit jobs are critical to New York's working families and the overall economy of the city. Our community-driven advocacy relies on grassroots organizing and coalition-building to promote mobility, job development, and economic growth via public transportation.We are focused not only on the short-term, immediate fixes to our crumbling public transportation infrastructure, but also on mass transit's role in the long-term economic health of New York and, indeed, our whole nation. We are dedicated to taking Transit Forward in a transformative direction that will serve generations to come.
WHAT WE DO
We are working to:
- -Highlight the need for quality public transportation in connection with education, housing and healthcare.
- -Give voice to communities underserved by public transit, especially those who are disproportionately impacted by fare increases and losses in services.
- -Amplify the issues shared by both transit riders and workers, such as public safety and environmental justice.
Mobility and Safety
Transit Forward is driven by the belief that everyone has the to safe, clean, reliable, affordable, and accessible public train and bus services in order to travel for work, educational, and recreational purposes.
To address New York City's still-high rates of unemployment and underemployment, Transit Forward supports investments in public transportation, which have proven to create more jobs per dollar, than investments in roads and bridges.*
Transit Forward seeks to create employment and workforce development opportunities, targeting youth, women, low-income workers, and current entry-level transit workers, including an apprenticeship program that will provide advanced occupational skills training in accordance with national transportation industry standards.*Source: "Transportation Funding and Job Creation", Smart Growth America, February 2011 - www.smartgrowthamerica.org/documents/lessons-from-the-stimulus.pdf, 2
As the only community-based transportation coalition in New York City, Transit Forward offers transit riders and workers opportunities for:
- -Direct input on community-level issues of public transportation.
- -Participation in policy advocacy at all levels of government.
- -Community organizing training and leadership development through our broad network of partners and affiliates.